[Zope] general API question

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Oct 1 14:02:00 EDT 2004

Jim Anderson wrote at 2004-9-30 20:11 -0400:
>Quite simply, if a class or method is in the public
>interface, it should be
>documented. At this point, I'm not sure who decides if a method or
>class is public or not, but I'll learn as I go forward.

"DocFinder" (for example) distinguished 3 levels of "publicness":

  *  public for through the Web access

  *  public for scripting use

  *  public for developers

One might want to differentiate the "public for developers"
further: "public" for standard class use (i.e. what e.g. C++/Java
calls "public") "public" for deriving classes (what C++ calls
"protected") and really private (what C++ calls "private").

Depending on the level you are working, other interfaces become
relevant.

I think, we are currently mainly speaking about "public for standard
use".

--
Dieter