[Zope] Zope is a POS.

Jason Leach jason.leach at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:15:24 EDT 2004

Are any of these significant detriments with Zope addressed in 2.7 or later?

0. No standard DB support.
I don't think ZPoPyDa has been updated since 2001.  I'm sure that
fills new developers with lots of confidence.  Perhaps it works fine,
but it's not being improved.  Perhaps other DB interfaces are better.
But then again ZSQL Methods are still ancient and in DTML.

1. Build in user management.
This is stupid.  The user management is good for companies of 10
people or so but what good is that to web application or ecomm site?
You going to hand add users?  The only solid product for this is
LDAPUserFolder, the rest should still be in beta.

2. Debugging.
This is worse.  It is so complicated to debug Products or Zope crap I
can't believe it.  This is relative to PHP or JSP or ASP; all I have
worked with.

3. Python
Keeping python up to date to use products.  Pain in the ass.

4. DTML/ZPT
Seems 90% of Products are in DTML yet ZPT seems like the obvious thing
to use. Fine, except when you need to tweak a product and then have to
learn DTML. PHP is PHP same  for the most part with ASP (all VB if you
like) or JSP (all java if you like).

Honestly. If I new know what I do about zope I would not recommend it
for commercial development.  Go with a product that lots of people are
using, this way you are ensured that components will be well supported
and improved over time. Not dropped because the author has moved on.