[Zope] WebDAV and Virtual Hosting

Brokken, Allen P. BrokkenA at missouri.edu
Thu Oct 21 11:42:22 EDT 2004

I am currently running Zope in a shared hosting arrangement.  Apache is
acting as the front end proxy and doing re-writes for the 2 Plone Sites
I have inside my Zope installation.  My Directory structure looks
something like

Root

-          Plone (default site)

-          www.domain1.com <http://www.domain1.com/>

-          www.domain2.com <http://www.domain2.com/>

With apache dealing with my rewrites the following works properly

http://www.domain1.com:80/ <http://www.domain1.com/>   -> renders
/www.domain1.com/

http://www.domain2.com:80/ <http://www.domain2.com/>  -> renders
/www.domain2.com/

However webdav requests end up

http://www.domain1.com:9800/ -> renders /Plone

http://www.domain2.com:9800/ -> renders /Plone

Structurally I have

Root

-          Virtual Host Monster (no mappings)

-          Plone (default site)

o       SiteRoot (blank)

-          www.domain1.com <http://www.domain1.com/>

-          www.domain2.com <http://www.domain2.com/>

I've tried a half dozen combinations of SiteRoots and Virtual Host
monsters in various folders with various mappings.  The only way I
actually get WebDAV clients like Macromedia Contribute to find the files
over port 9800 is if I restructure the directory completely and change
the apache rewrites to look like this

Root

-          Virtual Host Monster (no mappings)

-          Plone (default site)

o       SiteRoot (blank)

o       www.domain1.com <http://www.domain1.com/>

o       www.domain2.com <http://www.domain2.com/>

http://www.domain1.com:80/ <http://www.domain1.com/>   -> renders
/Plone/www.domain1.com/

http://www.domain2.com:80/ <http://www.domain2.com/>  -> renders
/Plone/www.domain2.com/

http://www.domain1.com:9800/ -> renders /Plone (however /www.domain1.com
can be appended to the initial request and it works)

http://www.domain1.com:9800/ -> renders /Plone (however /www.domain2.com
can be appended to the initial request and it works)

I can edit everything fine in my clients, but it's ugly and doesn't
provide the "backup" I like having of the default site not being tied to
either one of the hosted domains.  It also makes the config for the
users a little ugly.

Currently APACHE is not running with webdav support set up, so I'm
looking for a solution that allows for the following without touching
the APACHE config since that's handled by the hosting company.

Root

-          Plone

-          www.domain1.com <http://www.domain1.com/>

-          www.domain2.com <http://www.domain2.com/>