[Zope] Use of APE in a production environment?

Brad Clements bkc at murkworks.com
Fri Oct 22 13:42:29 EDT 2004

On 22 Oct 2004 at 9:02, Kelly McDonald wrote:

> 1. Is anyone using this setup in a production environment -

I am using it for a client. Doing development on one machine and then deploying on another,
via subversion checkouts.

> have there been
> any problems with stability or performance?

I spent 2 hours this week trying to figure out why, on one machine it (Ape-1.0) worked fine,
and on the other it died with an assertion error. Yet the directory contents were identical, the
python version the same, all the configs the same.

I eventually figured out how to solve the problem by putting an explicit
mapper_name=python_script in many "effected" .xyz..properties files.

Though, figuring out which one was causing the problem was darn tough!

Otherwise it works fine. I don't have any opinion on performance though.

> 2. Has anyone figured anything out to populate the cache upon startup?

Isn't that a generic ZODB question, not really specific to Ape.. ?

> 3. What has been the performance hit, if any?

I imagine the loading process is slightly slower than traditional ZODB, but I have not
measured it. In our case, we're using it on a site that's all XML and XSLT generation, so
there aren't  more  than 100 or so objects in Ape storage anyway.

> 4. have you had any problems using subversion/cvs with the objects on
> the APE/Filesystem volume, especially when using multiple branches for
> development?

No problems.

--
Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com   (315)268-1000