[Zope] Re: Bulk uploads

Nate Aune natea at jazkarta.com
Sun Sep 5 18:50:20 EDT 2004

in article ch50ag$80e$1 at sea.gmane.org, cp.hennessy at openapp.biz at
cp.hennessy at openapp.biz wrote on 9/1/04 7:16 PM:

> Alexis Roda wrote:
>
>> cp.hennessy at openapp.biz wrote:
>>> Maik Jablonski wrote:
>>>
>>> This is really the problem to be solved :
>>> is it possible to control the type of content created when an object is
>>> added to Zope using either FTP or WebDAV ?
>>> Preferably we would like to be able for this type to be created
>>> automatically i.e. when 20 files of mixed types are ftp'd/webdav'd then
>>> the appropriate content types should be used for each file.
>>
>> Not sure, but I think CMF content_type_registry can do that for CMF
>> content objects.
>
> The content_type_registry is exactly what I was looking for!
> Thanks all,

You might be interested to hear that Sidnei da Silva is going to be giving a
tutorial on WebDAV at the PloneConference entitled "Leveraging the
Standards: Improving the WebDAV experience... NOW!"
(http://plone.org/events/conferences/2/program).

Here's the relevant excerpt:

"Over the last couple months, while working for Enfold Systems, I've
developed a couple of tools to improve and provide better control over the
process of creating and modifying content over WebDAV. In this tutorial I
will explain about the goals of each of these tools and how they can be used
together to build a better WebDAV experience by using existing standard
technologies and libraries, instead of reinventing the wheel."

Here's the whole blurb that appears on the conference program page.

" Leveraging the Standards: Improving the WebDAV experience... NOW!
 Sidnei da Silva

 Day after day, new tools are created to enable new features and faster
development of the most different kinds of applications. Obviously, the main
target is the browser interaction. Plone has shown to be specially targeted
at this niche, being widely recognized as one of the best Open Source
Content Management Systems out there.  However, Content Management is not
only about being able to control your content. The Web Browser, though a
universal tool that is available on the most different platforms, enabling
people to reach and control their content from anywere, is not rich enough
to match existing tools with years of acceptance and tight desktop
integration. This is the domain of Document Management, which increasingly
is converging with Content Management.  The WebDAV protocol was created for
the purpose of integrating web content into desktop authoring environments.
WebDAV has been present on Zope since the early days as a supported way of
interacting with content, along with FTP and XML-RPC, but has been mostly
ignored due to the aforementioned reasons.  Providing a reasonable WebDAV
experience is not an Herculean task. However it requires some preparation an
thinking. Care must be taken as to not break backwards compatibility. All
the contracts must be clear and predictable, and more than that, the scope
must be clear so that we don't get stranded by overengineering and endless
discussions.  Over the last couple months, while working for Enfold Systems,

Nate Aune - natea at jazkarta.com
Plone4Artists - http://plone4artists.org
"Build your own artist community website!"