[Zope] Py_BuildValue Error

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 16:22:36 EDT 2004

[Travis Miller]
> thanks guys for all of your help. i will study these tips and attempt
> to implement them in hopes of catching what's going wrong. hopefully it
> was a fluke, but i'd surely feel more comfortable if it was reproducible.

I don't believe (much <wink>) in flukes:  something went wrong.  But
it's "impossible" for this specific thing to go wrong, so there's
little hope of determining the cause unless/until someone *can*
reproduce it.

There are known problems now with apps (including at least Zope
2.7.2's Publisher) that do a subtransaction commit, get some exception
later, and close the database connection without first abort()'ing or
commit()'ing the transaction containing the subtransaction commit.
That can lead to all sorts of bizarre symptoms, and this *may* be one
of them (I'm not certain either way).  The Collector report I pointed
you at was interesting in this respect because that poster did see
other exceptions in the log near the time of "the impossible"
PyBuild_Value complaint.

Current 2.7 branch ZODB code does not allow apps to do that anymore
(it was always "forbidden", but never enforced (or even detected)
before), and Zope's Publisher has been changed to stop doing it,  So
if you do find yourself able to reproduce it, you *may* get cheap
relief by trying the current 2.7 branch code.