[Zope] Zope4Intranets problems

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Sep 9 22:42:52 EDT 2004

Hi,

> I recently purchased the binary version of Zope4Intranets (Z4I) from
> Zope Corporation.

I never knew there was such a beast!  It must be new.

> I am based in Australia, and my company has paid over $US3000 for this
> product. Zope Corp. has now offered me a choice: they will send me the
> manual for the full source code edition of Zope4Intranets (which is no
> doubt for Unix) or they will refund the purchase price.

Frankly, in the absence of any other options, these sound pretty good to
me!  I assume you were hoping for a binary-only edition of the docs.

But if you've got Z4I actually running now, and the remainder of the
docs are there, you're really not missing very much by not having the
"Configuring Zope4Intranets" and "Build and Run a Zope4Intranets
Server".  They, predictably, deal with configuring, building, and
running a Z4I server.  If your Z4I is already running, you don't need to
do any of the steps that they entail.  Furthermore, in my copy of the
Z4I docs, these sections are each only about one or two pages long and
deal exclusively with buildouts under UNIX.

> I have no idea what to do. To some extent, my job is at stake on this
> project. I am an experienced Python programmer, but have only built
> very simple Zope sites.

I'm confused.  You apparently have a manual that is missing some pages,
none of which are really applicable for your version of the software.
You've been offered those pages or your money back.  What would actually
make you happy in this scenario?

>  Does anyone have any help or advice on Zope4Intranets, or can anyone
> offer me any insight into the contents of the full manual? I need only
> the first few steps, but Zope Corp. seems reluctant or unable to
> supply these.

I run Z4I under UNIX, and those sections of the source manual deal
specifically with the commands used to build a Z4I server using CVS and
used to run a Z4I server using UNIX commands, none of it is applicable
to a Windows binary install.  At least in my (probably older) copy of
the source manual, that is.

> Many thanks for any help or suggestions. I have been very surprised to
> be so shabbily treated by Zope Corp.

I'm surprised you consider this shabby! Try to think of all the manuals
you didn't get when you bought all those copies of Windows! ;-)

- C