Time recording system (was: Re: [Zope] (no subject))

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Sep 19 15:49:35 EDT 2004

john blair wrote at 2004-9-17 22:05 -0700:
>> You design your data model (relational databases are
>> not bad for
>> these highly structured data), use Z SQL Methods to
>> access the
>> database (read/modify) and use PageTemplates for
>> presentation.
>But doing it this way is ame as doint in php or any
>other  framework like cherrypy .How does zope help me?

I like Python and the macro mechanism provided by PageTemplates
very much.

I do not know the other systems.

If I knew one of the other systems but not Zope,
then maybe I would use another one ;-)

>>From my understanding I think in zope we have to
>develop Zclasses

This is not a must, only a possibility.

Nowadays, I prefer CMF (Content Management Framework with
lots of valuable tools -- like the SkinsTool and ActionsTool)
and Archetypes over ZClasses.

>   for objects not already available
>which in this application can be timesheet etc.... Am
>I right??

No.

ZClasses are only one of at least 4 options:

  * elementary implementation with standard Zope objects

  * ZClasses

  * CMF + Archetypes

  * custom objects developed in Python products

>THis confuses me a lot..Are there any
>examples on how to develop a data driven website??

Maybe, you look at "PloneMall" (or similar products for
data driven tasks).

--
Dieter