[Zope] Getting started again (subdomain, user, logout)

Daniel Neugebauer Energiequant at gmx.de
Mon Sep 20 06:25:51 EDT 2004

Hi!

> Looks like you should have documented *your* work...

Well, I guess that would have been best. ;)

> When you have an Apache in front of Zope, you usually
> use an unconfigured VHM (Virtual Host Monster) instance in
> your Zope and one Apache named Virtual Host per domain.

I haven't tried that solution yet since I got it working with Zope only.
But as I don't seem to be able to get everything working as it was I may
try it with rewrite rules today.

But before I will do so I would like to know if I am able to use Zope as
an "overlay" to Apache, so I can still have directories managed by
Apache rather than Zope if I apply a rewrite rule to my Apache root-dir.
(domain.tld/dir1 -> domain.tld:8080/VHM/user/... but domain.tld/dir2
will not be rewritten)

> Do not forget to document your own solution, in case
> you need to redo it again.

I think I have learnt from my mistake and I really will do it this time. :)

> Maybe, you defined your users in local "acl_users" and
> restricted the permissions in the root folder?

Kind of, but everything I've tried yet didn't work.

> Read the Zope Book (2.6/2.7 edition, online).
> You need background information when you really want to use
> Zope...

I already thought about getting the printed version of the book either
from a local library or a shop. (I don't really like reading on a
screen) At first I searched for "3rd party"-books but unfortunately
there don't seem to be any (affordable) usable books.

> Learn about the difference between HTTP basic authentication
> and cookie authentication. You could read the Web publishing
> section of
>
>   <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html>
>
> Use either a UserFolder that supports Cookie authentication
> or use CookieCrumber with any UserFolder.

Thanks, I will take a look at it. ;)

Bye,
Daniel