[Zope] Error with filenames during FTP

Josef Albert Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 03:50:03 EDT 2004

Hi John,

--- John Poltorak <jp at w...> wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 10:01:52PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> > John Poltorak wrote at 2004-9-17 22:43 +0100:
> > >Are there any known issues when uploading via FTP files with names
>like:-
> > >
> > >content.asp%3Fcontent_category_id=1
> > >

> > >I get a '426 Error creating file.' msg after it has been sent.
> > >
> > >What can I do about it?
> > > "%" is not allowed in Zope ids.
> > In stock Zope, only the following characters are allowed
> > in Zope ids: 'a-zA-Z0-9-_~,.$()# '
> > or relax the Zope id restriction.
>
>I'm attempting to import a FrontPage-built website into Zope and would
>prefer to make as few changes as possible.
Oh no! FrontPage ;-). Some time ago (more than one year) somebody wanted to
upload a website made with FronPage to our server. We saw it didn't upload
some files, then we figured out that this software creates temporary files
starting with "_" (underscore). Try to find those, make a copy of the
contents and delete the temporary files. We also detected that normal html
files were uploaded as dtml documents (Perhaps this has changed, I haven't
used ftp since a long time), so, if you have some invalid expressions that
conflict with dtml, it won't create the file on zope. Don't answer me what
kind of expressions, I don't remmember it, but I can tell you they weren't
dtml at all.

>I can't see anything about 'relaxing Zope id restriction'. Any hints about
>where I should look?
I think this isn't a good solution. You could break something else, and if
you succeeded, then you will have to remmember to do this each time you
upgrade your zope; otherwise, you will have a lot of nice broken links. I
think the best way is to manually edit the conflicting pages.

Conclusion: Don't use FrontPage. It adds extra unnecessary info to your
pages. Don't even edit your html files with word. I saw once that this
software changes all the slashes on your paths for backslashes, so your site
will work perfect on IE, but it will fail with other browsers (netscape 4.x
comes in mind, mozilla I think copes with this)

Finally don't use ftp, it's insecure. You had better user localfs with scp
(google for winscp for windows systems).

Regards,
Josef