[Zope] Re: RE: Re: Disgraceful

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Sat Sep 25 11:18:50 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:25:56 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 18:28, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:
>
>> You typed it in wrong. If you click the URL I provided above, Google
>> searches for 'zope sessions'. You obviously searched for
>> 'zope+sessions'. Plus signs in URLs are spaces.
>
> FWIW, when I click on the provided URL I don't see the Session chapter
> of the Zope book as any direct result until the 27th link.  And it's the
> one at ZopeWiki.org, which isn't really "canonical".  I find this
> strange, given that Google is typically so good at this kind of thing
> and given that you apparently see different results.

Darn, now *I'm* getting the same results as you, Chris. Google must have
done an index update, and not for the better.

Well, if I get bad results from searching the web in general, I restrict
my search to zope.org:
http://www.google.com/search?q=sessions+site%3Azope.org

Now the Sessions chapter is the *first* result.

Or I can search the mailing lists (not very helpful in this particular
case):
http://www.google.com/search?q=sessions+site%3Alists.zope.org

> Regardless, I can sympathize with both sides of this argument.  I have
> been on both sides in the past.  IMO:
>
> - the questioner should try to provide a roundup of the things
>   he has already tried and might try soon [snip]
>
> - when a questioner gets a response that isn't satisfactory and
>   feels compelled to reask, he should state exactly why the original
>   response was unsatisfactory. [snip]
>
> - if a responder doesn't feel like he has to provide a detailed
>   answer because it's an RTFM question, it would be nice of him to give
>   a URL or another detailed description of where in TFM to look.  If he
>   doesn't have the time to do this, he might consider not responding at
>   all.  OTOH, sometime the slightest clues are useful, so it's somewhat
>   of a judgment call.
>
> - a responder should be courteous and not harsh. [snip]

I agree with your guidelines, Chris, and I've been on both sides too. I
will however note that the first to be discourteous in this
*particular* case was the questioner, not the respondent (theories on
German propensities toward the use of etiquette notwithstanding).

-- Michael Bernstein