[Zope] Newbie namespace question

Jeffrey Blaze jeffrey.blaze at nomissolutions.com
Thu Sep 30 16:41:26 EDT 2004

Hi all,

            My question is really about HTML.  I am implementing an open
source defect tracking system called Roundup (a set of Python modules),
and noticed that it uses TAL.  However, I looked all through the Roundup
and Python HTML and did not find a namespace declaration.  Isn't one
required?  This from
(http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/AppendixC.s
tx):

The prefix identifies the language, and must be introduced by an XML
namespace declaration in XML and XHTML documents, like this:

xmlns:ns="http://language.creator.com/namespaces/MyAttributeLanguage

I realize that the statement above mentions XHTML but not HTML, implying
that non-well-formed HTML does not require the declaration.  But in the
absence of the declaration, how does HTML know how to handle a TAL
statement attribute?  Why wouldn't it balk as soon as it sees the tal:
prefix?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Blaze