[Zope] Newbie namespace question

J. Cameron Cooper zope-l at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Sep 30 17:41:11 EDT 2004

Jeffrey Blaze wrote:
> Thanks.  I thought that the first process to see the page was HTML,
> hence my confusion as to how HTML would know how to deal with a foreign
> attribute.
>
> Where does the TAL parser live?  How does it see the page before HTML?

HTML is a language, not a program. A web browser, among other things,
interprets HTML to make what you see on the screen.

Web browsers do not (now, at least!) understand TAL, and will ignore any
attributes they do not understand. So something must sit between the
template and the requesting program to transform the template.

Zope (and a few other programs) understands TAL, and will, before
handing a page to a requesting client (like a web browser), interpret
the TAL and METAL statements, creating an HTML page.

		--jcc