[Zope] RSS feed: post-processing?

MILLER Eva evam at multcolib.org
Fri Apr 1 13:56:29 EST 2005

Hello,

I've been puzzling over something but can't figure out a solution. I
have an RSS feed providing the content behind all the links on this
page: http://demo.plinkit.org/interestsideas/goodreads/booklists.

There's a nice bookmarklet tool in the world called LibraryLookup that
lets you check whether a book you find on Amazon or something is in
your library's catalog by scraping up the ISBN and launching an ISBN
catalog search. It's a javascript, really. I thought I would adapt this

to create a little add-on for the stuff the bestsellers RSS brings back

to my site. What I need to do is pluck out the ISBNs in the links on a
page like this one:
http://demo.plinkit.org/interestsideas/goodreads/sinList?synmap=Hardcove
rFiction

The ISBNs are all in the URLs for the book titles
("isbn=Some10digitNumberHere"). How would I look for a piece of text in

that shape, i.e., isbn=5893193390, then, if it's there, copy and paste
that piece of information into the LibraryLookup javascript I have. The

end result should be that, if there's an ISBN in a feed result, an extra
link
appears for each entry that says something like "Check the catalog,"
which you can click to look that book up in your own library's catalog.

I've been staring at the template that formats the RSS feed to figure
out whether any TAL expression would work for this. I've been playing
with a short Python script, then wondering how to call it within that
template, but I think I have to use regular expressions to do it.

I'm sorry to be so lost on this, but I guess I am. I'd love to do
something cool like this for our little Plinkit libraries. Can anyone
help? I'll take anything from a broad strategy to actual code snippets
(I'm a terrible programmer but a good librarian).

Thanks
Eva the Librarian