[Zope] Does anyone care whether we deprecate ZClasses?

Jonathan Cyr cyrj at cyr.info
Fri Apr 1 16:41:21 EST 2005

Big mistake, IMHO,

You have no replacement for intermediate developers... the only decent
documentation, being the various books, have ZClasses throughout.
Explain their absence to the newbies grokking for Zope enlightenment.

Not everyone needs/wants development tools, some like the TTW management.

The ZClass code seems to work flawlessly for me, never a problem.

Who didn't cut their teeth with ZClasses?  ZClasses are the reason I
realized Zope was so powerful... Gee, how would I use an Object
database???, the ZClass showed me... and later I added Zope Products to
the mix with my ZClasses and created a viable business based on Zope.
How are newbies going to make the leap to the newer Zope offerings
without a ZClass to start with.

This list is full of experts... and I appreciate the resource... but
often the intermediate Zope programmer is plowed over... whether it's
the topic of ZClasses or DTML, or any other way Zope used to do things.
I have to choose each Zope technology carefully for the time
investment.  ZClasses were well worth my time measured with the whole
picture... web design, flash programming, HTML, RSS, javascript, css,
interactive marketing, systems administration, etc.  I can't say that
for some Zope technology offerings.

I took the better part of 1 1/2 years developing a business based on
Zope, heavily relying on ZClasses (and DTML), based on the choices in
Zope presented at the time.  I bought every book available, which
pointed to ZClasses and DTML being THE way to go... I bought into the
TTW strategy of managing web apps, and I like it... ZClasses fit the
bill for me... I don't need the CMF, APE, ZPT, Plone projects... I need
a simple way to deliver rich objects in an object database... ZClasses

My business venture, based on Zope is just now starting to bear fruit...
it would be a shame if the frantic pace of Zope's software lifecycle
couldn't be patient enough for the real world's business lifecycles.

I started developing on 2.6.1 and have been able to stay fairly current
to 2.7.3, and stayed fairly pure, only products added were formulator
and varimage... figured staying compatible with Zope's core features
would be to my benefit... ZClasses are a core feature of Zope

Unlike the depreciated Versions feature, which was more of a problem
that benefit.... ZClasses do work, DTML does, as long as you don't try
to make them solve complex problems.

Keep ZClasses until there's a replacement for "Simple Rich Objects in
the Object Database" for the intermediate Zope programmers.

This hits me very close to home, I apologize for any harsh terms and
appreciate Zope, the Zope team, and the work of all of the folks on this
list, making it so great.  I hope this helps in the discussion and
weighing of priorities.

I appreciate you asking, thanks for your time,

Jonathan Cyr
cyrj at cyr.info
WeddingWeblog.com