[Zope] Persistent Objects

Roy S. Rapoport zope at ols.inorganic.org
Fri Apr 8 12:55:52 EDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 06:48:49PM +0200, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> But "for the life of the server" is rather unusual... What are the
> objects you are doing, more specifically?

We're porting a web application to manage a collection of DNS and DHCP
servers.  At startup time, we talk to each of these DNS and DHCP servers to
ask them what zones they know about (in the case of the DNS servers) and
what pools of addresses they use (in the case of the DHCP servers).  This
information changes rarely, and costs some time to acquire.

Actually having said this just now, I'd say a better solution for us would
be to actually initialize an object when the user logs in -- we can
tolerate that delay, and that gives us a relatively fresh snapshot of the
current situation.  Don't know how that changes things.  It feels like it
should make it easier.

> (Although, if you aren't planning to use any third-party products, you
> might actually want to look into using Zope3 instead, which is way
> cooler, but a tad more complicated to get started with).

Hmm.  I'd be willing to use Z3, I think -- I haven't done Zope development
for about 6-9 months, but all my previous experience has been on 2.x.  The
other people involved in this are all brand new to Zope.  Why should I use
Z3? Does it have better documentation? :)

-roy