[Zope] understanding Zope's memory usage

Lucas Hofman lucas.hofman at pgs.com
Wed Apr 13 04:51:37 EDT 2005

I am running a server with a handfull of plone intranet sites. The
server has 4GB  memory, but is now starting to page.

What I notice is that the different Plone instances vary widely in there
memory usage. For one site every process uses 400Mb, and there are 6
processes running! That is 2.4 Gbyte for one site!

I see there is one deamon process that is small, and 6 processes that
are big. If we call the six biggies a-f:
deamon start a
a starts b
b starts c d e f

c d e f are probably zserver threads, but what do process a and b? And
why do the all have the same size and RSS? What are the alternatives to
limit the memory consumption?

Anybody who can enlighten me on this?

Thanks, Lucas