[Zope] Some problem about Data.fs

J Cameron Cooper zope-l at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Apr 14 17:03:48 EDT 2005

Fu-Ming_Tsai wrote:
> What I meant is that if there are more and more objects, maybe it cause some
> problem because there are a big Data.fs. Doesn't it cause any problem if
> there are a big big Data.fs?

Not particularly. If you hit the upper limit of your disk or filesystem
limits on file size/partition size you can get into trouble. Also, if it
gets too big, you may not have enough room to pack (because the old and
new Data.fs files must be able to exist simultaneously.)

The ZODB can be broken into multiple files if needed. You could also use
 DirectoryStorage, but some file systems aren't so good at large numbers
of files.

But there are no Zope-specific problems with a large database, save that
building the index (on startup) can take longer if you have lots of objects.

	--jcc