[Zope] Meta Type change

David davidr at talamh.org.uk
Sat Apr 16 12:46:09 EDT 2005

Hi

How do I change the meta_type for an object in the ZMI from within Zope?

An instance of a product I have built (inheriting from the the Folder
Product) has become inaccessible after adding a lot of data.
Essentially this is a product to archive text strings in a specific
format and has worked fine for months. The problem has lead to
corruption of the Data.fs file (and fsrecovery.py did not find anything
to recover). I had a few backups from which I was able to recover the
rest of the site and of the archive in a previous state, but had to go
back 3 days.

The backup from the day before the corruption does have the object in
the ZMI tree, but now Zope thinks this is a normal Folder and when I
try to access it, gives me attribute errors.  When I attempt an XML
download, although there are errors, I can see all the archived texts
in the text that is appearing in my browser, however they are embedded
in chaotic-looking text garbage, so I can't find a way to extract them
by script. (And there are about 5000 missing texts, so copy and paste
would take days!)

I was wondering if I could just alter the meta_type for the object from
within Zope, maybe through a python script and see if that makes the
object accessible again. I can't find anything on how to change the
meta_type for an existing object though.

Any help very appreciated.

Cheers

David