[Zope] repozo over nfs?

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Apr 21 08:03:08 EDT 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 13:16, Sascha Ottolski wrote:
> What bothers me, however, is the fact, that the backup process is real
> hit on
> the overall performance (espacially . The server in question has a
> RAID-5
> setup, storing the backups on the same array as it reads the Data.fs
> from.
> Obviously, this keeps the harddisk quite busy during the backup.

This is, to be frank, a bad setup for a ZEO server. ZEO servers are
I/O-bound and need the disk to be as fast as possible. I'd recommend
moving away from RAID-5 to something simpler like RAID-1.

> Now, did anyone try to let repozo write the backups onto a nfs share on
> another machine? Would that reduce the hit?

Yes. At least the backup write activity would hit some other disk.

> Besides that, how often do you guys run your backups? In fact, I never
> needed
> to recover one until now, but if the case ever happens, I would prefer
> have as recent data as possible, of course.

There is no golden rule. It all depends on your specific setup and how
fast your data grows, and of course how recent you want to be if you
need to restore from backup. I haven't had a setup where backup needs
were so urgent that an hourly backup was done, nightly has been good
enough so far. With weekly packing.

jens