[Zope] How to convert Zope instance charset?

Daniel Dekany ddekany at freemail.hu
Mon Apr 25 04:42:05 EDT 2005

Monday, April 25, 2005, 5:34:04 AM, Andreas Jung wrote:

> One last note from myside. I have experiences with unicode since over
> 7 years while working with multilingual documents in the e-publishing
> business. It is good practice to perform *any* unicode related work
> *only* on unicode datatypes (Python unicode strings!!!)
> and *not* some byte-encoded unicode strings as utf8 or whatever. These
> encodings should only be used on the output level when presenting
> unicode data to the user - either through-the-web, as export format
> etc. This is a strong advice you should follow.

As someone who works often with Java I absolutely agree with it. Just I
don't know how to do it with Zope/Plone/other 3rd party products (not
written by me), since they use not unicode strings. I don't know, maybe
it can be specified for Python that it uses unicode for plain strings as
well, but anybody has successfully done that with Zope? Like, what about
the C parts of Zope then?

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany