[Zope] Re: Running more than one instance on windows often block each other

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 14:35:04 EDT 2005

[Tim Peters[
>> How often do you see this?  I haven't seen it yet, but I can't make
>> hours today to do this [by] hand.

[Sune B. Woeller]
> The problem with a failing connect, and as consequence a hanging accept:
> I have tested with your socktest111(), and experience the same thing with
> that as with my own one-go scripts:
> The socktest111() test hangs on accept() after a few (1, 2, 3...) cycles,
> because the w.connect fails (10061, 'Connection refused').
>
> Well, enough with that - I can only recreate that problem on my own
> machine.
>
> I have run the same test on another win xp home, and win 2K without that
> problem.

OK, so you have one box where it's extraordinarily easy to provoke
problems with these test scripts.  Since the cause is unlikely to be
Windows (despite that all flavors of Windows appear to have bugs here,
they're pretty shy on most boxes), I'd suggest looking at 3rd-party
software you run on your laptop but not on other boxes.  For example,
software firewalls are a good candidate, and, e.g., I used to see
several "impossible socket problems" only when ZoneAlarm was active
(and I stopped seeing that when I stopped ZoneAlarm ;-)).  Anti-virus
and active anti-spyware programs can also create no end of mysterious
problems.