[Zope] large installations and conflict errors

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Aug 8 11:23:09 EDT 2005

--On 8. August 2005 16:01:13 +0200 "M. Krainer" <mkrainer05 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We run a self developed zope product originally based on cmf but
> highly customized and extended. Our Data.fs now has grown to a
> (packed) size of > 25GB and we are running more and more into
> performance troubles (mostly due to a lot of conflict errors). Our
> users make a lot of updates, i.e. we have lots of write operations.
> Currently we think that our bottle neck is the 'portal_catalog' and
> I'm working on splitting it up into multiple ZCatalogs.
>
> So far our story, but what I really wonder is, if there's anyone out
> there who has a similar large installation. Please let me know how
> large your zope instance is and what you have done to increase your
> (write) performance. Also any ideas that may help us are welcome.
>
> Additional info:
> 4 ZEO clients, 1 ZEO server (all machines have dual P4 and 3-4GB ram),
> Zope-2.8.0

The CMS that we have built recently on top of the ZODB and CMF consists of
several ZEO storages with local catalogs + catalog queue. I don't the total
size of all storages in mind but it might be similar the size as your
system. However we are using MVCC (implementation  by Dieter Maurer) on top
of Zope 2.7.something.  Since you are using Zope 2.8 should not see much
read conflict error for normales storages except for the TemporaryStorage
(ChrisM added MVCC support for sessions recently for Zope 2.8.1).

-aj