[Zope] BTree Folders questions

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Aug 11 03:19:13 EDT 2005

> I am using CMF 1.5.2 and Zope 2.8.0  - will upgrading again this
> week to 1.5.3 and 2.8.1  I removed my BTreeFolder2 product as it
> was indicating it was duplicated product in my event log after my
> recent upgrade - so it appears to have become part of the
> distribution.

It is part of 2.8, yes, so you will not need to install BTreeFolder2
separately in that case (you did not mention version numbers in your
original mailing).

> I did not really understand the difference between a BTreeFolder2
> and a CMFBTreeFolder since CMFBTreeFolder did not appear as content
> even though it is displayed as an option in Core Content  in ZMI.

Content type registration for the ZMI and for CMF are two different
things. An item showing up in the ZMI does not mean it exists in the
types tool. A CMFBTreeFolder is just a BTreeFolder2 with all the
necessary trimmings so it plays nice with CMF.

Portal buildout upon instantiation and types creation is handled
through CMFSetup XML-based profiles. There is no way to express "If
product A is installed, install type B". So for CMF 1.5, which can be
run on Zope 2.7 and 2.8, you will have to do this step manually,
tough luck, nothing you can do about it.

In CMF-HEAD, which depends on Zope 2.8 and thus guarantees the
availability of BTreeFolder2, it is an oversight that CMFBTreeFolder
is not one of the automatically installed types upon portal
instantiation. I filed a collector issue and will look at it over the
next couple days:

http://www.zope.org/Collectors/CMF/371

jens