[Zope] Re: Zope on Solaris

Brian Sullivan briansullivan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 19:22:58 EDT 2005

> >>From what I can determine Zope does or should run on Solaris on a Sun
> > server. Is that assumption correct.
> >
> > Can anybody point to any resources or have any comments/opinions--
> > like what versions of Zope/Solaris seem to be compatible, any special
> > issues/requirements?
>
> Except for the fact that it will seem dog slow, Zope runs fine on
> Solaris.  The major issue seems to be that the threading model in the
> Solaris libc is especially punitive for long-running, multi-threaded
> Python applications.

Dog slow as compared to what? I would prefer to do the absolute
minimum in terms of tuning. Most of my experience with Zope and
otherwise is with Windows. Can I potentially get by just installing
and running? How would it run that way on a current Solaris server
with appropriate memory compared to say running on a P4 3meg Win2003
machine with appropriate memory.

> I would recommend running multiple appserver processes, each with a
> single "worker" thread, rather than trying to run a truly multi-threaded
> appserver;  you will then need to load balance them (e.g., with Pound).

I am not exactly sure what you are saying -- is this something to be
done at the Zope end or with Solaris knowledge or both?