[Zope] Creating an application using zope and plone

Dave Hall dave-zope at dnh.sk.ca
Fri Aug 12 12:21:50 EDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:26:35PM +0530, Saura Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I am very new to zope and plone. Now I have to make a blogging kind
> of site with user management based on roles. I want to have different
> classes for different type of users. Please tell me where to find good
> documentation to get started. And also some pointers to similar
> example solutions.

Well, I'd start by taking a look a the available "products" section on
zope.org to see if there is something available that already does what
you need.  Roles are built in to Zope and there are probably a couple of
blogging "products".

As far as references, I'd start with the Zope Bible then the Zope Book.
>From there, the Definitive Guide to Plone is really good (it helps to
understand how Zope works first).  It will also be helpful to know a bit of
Python, Learning Python from O'Reilly is a good book to get you started.

If you haven't worked with paradigms like Zope or JSPs or ASP.Net, that's
the hardest part of learning it.  With Zope, everything gets pretty easy
after that.

--

Dave