[Zope] Re: ZSyncer and Zope-2.8.0

Sascha Ottolski sascha.ottolski at gallileus.de
Mon Aug 15 16:20:06 EDT 2005

Am Montag, 15. August 2005 00:54 schrieb Paul Winkler:
> The trunk should now be in usable condition, I hope. I´m sorry it was
> broken for so long.
> I am on vacation now, and unlikely to respond in this thread again
> until I return on 8/21.
> Within a week thereafter, I hope to tag and release zsyncer 0.7-beta1.

Hi Paul,

thanks for the info. Just to let you know, I just cvs upped to the trunk, but
unfortunately syncing didn't work for me.

To make a long story short, i append a small diff against the trunk that seems
to work for me (not thoroughly tested, though, and not perfect about
authorization).

Heres what happened: I've always seen this error:

	Module Products.ZSyncer.ZSyncer, line 1503, in call_
	Module copy_reg, line 69, in _reduce_ex
	TypeError: can't pickle function objects

Which I can get around by changing line 1501 of ZSyncer.py from

	result = sys.exc_info()[:2]
	result = (str(sys.exc_info()[0]), str(sys.exc_info()[1]))

Which in turn tells me, that security bites me. This happens no matter if I
use the current account or the http://username:password@server.url/. I double
checked permissions, Manager Role is Allowed to "User ZSyncer" and "View
Management Screens".

Good news is, Dieter gave a hint about to exchange "validateValue" with
"validate", which seems to help (at least for the username:password thingy;
it still wont sync with the current user for me).

Incidentally, I stumbled about a problem when an object is on the remote
syncer, but not the local, which seems to be fixed by an addition to an
except clause; and finally I found that if you want to browse ZClasses for
syncing, a reordering of an if/elif is necessary.

Hope someone finds it useful.

Cheers, Sascha