[Zope] Help need for a Zope presentation to java lovers...

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Aug 17 11:19:42 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 16:02 +0100, Pascal Peregrina wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Ooops... Reading your reply shows me that I was unclear ;)
>
> Zope will be the CMS system of the architecture (so it will render HTML).

Ah.  Well, it's not too bad at doing that either. ;-)

> I only meant that it would get dynamic data using XML-RPC queries, but I
> already have an efficient product for this, so it's not an issue.
>
> So what they want is a Web Management Framework and CMS system.
> And they wonder if Zope is better than a JSP/Struts/Velocity solution.

Considering you're likely the one that will be implementing it, I'd say
so as you know Zope very well.  But they're probably thinking
"strategically" (which IMO is a mistake ;-).

> Don't get me wrong, I have been using Zope for almost 2 years now, I love
> it.
> The problem is that I don't do any Java development since then so I miss
> knowledge about Java evolutions in terms of Web Management Framework and CMS
> systems.

I don't know much about Struts either, sorry.  I have never actually
implemented a CMS using Java so I may be the wrong person to speak up.
I did give a minor look-see to Cocoon lately and was distinctly
unimpressed because it doesn't do some things that you just take for
granted in Zope (declarative security being the big one).

- C