[Zope] Zope 2.8.1 on Mac OS X tiger Server

Andrew Langmead alangmead at boston.com
Thu Aug 18 13:44:31 EDT 2005

On Aug 18, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Garito wrote:

> Sorry but my Mac OS X skill are null

I think you are in the unfortunate spot of of OS X where you are
confronted with the ease of use of Unix and the ubiquity of the
Macintosh.

> I try:
>
> sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/Zope/Zope
>
> but raises line 31: $1: unbound variable
>
> now I supouse $1 will be StartService/StopService/RestarService

You might want to take a look at some of Apple's documentation for
creating its startup items, since it is significantly different than
either the traditional Unix styles (both BSD and SysV)

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPSystemStartup/Articles/StartupItems.html>

Also, I would recommend against putting your startup items in /System/
Library/StartupItems, and suggest to use /Library/StartupItems
instead. Everything in /System can be overwritten by OS upgrades, /
Library is for a machine's local customizations.

What I believe you want in order to test your script is:

sudo /Library/StartupItems/Zope/Zope start

the RunService function will take the argument "start" , "stop", or
"restart", and based on that, run either the function "StartService",
"StopService", or "RestartService". All three functions need to
exist, whether they are used or not.

Once you get that to succeed, you might want to try to see if this
succeeeds:

sudo /sbin/SystemStarter  restart "Zope WebServer"

(or maybe "Zope Server", you seem to have changed it between plist
revisions.)