[Zope] Re: Zope on Solaris

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Sun Aug 21 03:46:31 EDT 2005

--On 20. August 2005 16:26:05 -0700 Steve McMahon <steve at dcn.org> wrote:

> Also, the concerns about Solaris were related to poor performance under
> Solaris 8 on a multi-Sparc platform. Anybody got any more recent
> information that might apply to Solaris 10 or to an Opteron platform?

To make it short: Solaris is not slow by design. The *Sparc*-based hardware
is fu*cking slow compared to decent PC-based systems. Solaris on i386
hardware is not slower or faster than compared to Linux. I made some tests
lately with Plone under Solaris on a PC and the benchmarks (basically using
ab) were more or less the same as with a comparable PC system (+/- 10%).
So why would one use Solaris? Only when you have the need for reliable
hardware. Sparc-based hardware is still at least 10 times more stable then
a cheap PC system ... everything has its price.

-aj