[Zope] Zope 2.8.4 install on Suse

Harry Forster hforster at strato.net
Thu Dec 8 09:19:44 EST 2005

Thanks to all for the very quick response to my request for help.  This is the
backbone of the open source community.

I have been using Zope 2.6 on windows for years and wanted to update and move
to a Suse 9.0 machine. I downloaded Zope 2.8.4-final tgz.

I originally had Python 2.4 but switched to Python 2.3.5 after reading the
Zope notes. When I did the configure, make, install for Zope I got the
message:

The Python interpreter you are using does not appear to have the 'zlib'
library module installed.  For Zope to be able to run, you must install a
Python interpreter which includes the zlib module, or install the zlib library
into your Python interpreter manually.  The file which represents the library
is named 'zlib.so' (UNIX) or 'zlib.dll' (Windows) and is typically located in
the 'lib-dynload' directory of your Python's library directory.  Some
Python packagers ship the zlib module as a separate installable binary. If you
are using a system-provided Python installation, you may want to look for
a 'python-zlib' package (or something like it) and install it to make the
Python zlib module available to Zope.

This lead me to believe that I needed to install zlib which I did.  This lead
to the same message.  I then found that what I may need is zlib-devel.  I had
Python-zlib_2.2. I could not find a zlib-devel to match it nor a zlib to
match the zlib to match the zlib-devels that I could find.

I decided that the problem really lay with Python so I changed to
ActivePython-2.4.2-248.  Same message.  There appears to be a disconnect
between Python, Zope, and Suse.

I have Zope 2.6.0 running on the same machine but this is what I have on
windows.  I am very content to stay with 2.6.0 and get off of windows and
onto Linux but feel it is time to upgrade.  Maybe I should just be happy with
the exit from Windows.