[Zope] RE: Zope and mod_python

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 05:50:53 EST 2005

Pascal Peregrina wrote:

> The targeted architecture is : Apache2/mod_python/ZopeHandler <-> ZEO

Aha, so you still have a long running python process the form of ZEO?

> At startup Apache initialize a pool of child processes (the processes that
> handle requests).
> Each Apache child process starts a python interpreter (mod_python does it)
> which in turns initialize an embedded Zope instance.

Right, and that opens a ClientStorage connection or two through to ZEO?

> Child processes are reusable, so if you correclty set the pool in Apache,
> the python processes should live as long as Apache itself.

Didn't know that, cool :-)

> It's just that when I wanted to try running Zope with mod_python, I found on
> the web that apparently noone had done it before, and even that in odler
> versions of mod_python it was clearly stated that it was impossible to
> achieve.
> So I just decided to expose what I did to the community, to get feedback.

Hehe, well, the community is very greatful :-) Hopefully this can end up
as something that ships with Zope by default? Can you submit the work
you've done to http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope as a feature+patch?

> My installation has now been running for 5 days, and I have still no issues,
> both browsing my site or using the ZMI.

Coool, have you tried load testing it with AB or some such?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk