[Zope] Re: Security Hole in ZPublisher.BaseRequest.BaseRequest.traverse?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Feb 17 10:58:21 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 09:22 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
> Well, this does beg the question: is this how restrictedTraverse works?
> If not, then why isn't restrictedTraverse used?

Publisher traversal works one way (checks only at the end of the entire
path lookup, raising an unauthorized only if the user can't view the
last object in the path), while [un]restrictedTraverse works a different
way (it checks each step along the way, and raises an unauthorized error
if it's not allowed to traverse any step).

I never quite understood why this was the case (it is definitely
confusing), but the fact that publisher traversal does not check each
step has proven handy in situations where I've wanted to allow web
access to deeply nested folders to people who don't actually have access
to its parent folders.

- C