[Zope] memory problems

Serge Renfer serge.renfer at edu.ge.ch
Tue Feb 22 02:37:41 EST 2005

Hi to all,

I run two instances of zope on a Sun sparc with Solaris 9.
Data.fs of one instance is 2Gb big

The actual problem is the lack of space on its partition => there is
about 2 Gb of disk space left.

One zope instance was running for 24 days and the 2Gb of disk space had
been gone (although the Data.fs hadn't grown that much)

Yesterday I made a copy on another server (as a backup) and restarted
zope => it wouldn't start!

So I removed all the extra files around Data.fs (that is all
Data.fs.*), and retried to strart zope => then it finally started BUT:

1) the 2Gb that had gone during these 24 days came back

	=> does Zope keep a temp file with a copy of Data.fs ?

2) the users sent me mail telling that they lost what they did for the
4 last days !!!

	=> I thought Zope would gather all its temp (buffer) data into the
Data.fs when it is asked to restart, does it do that or not ?

What could I do to get back to the situation I was in before the
restart (in terms of data => for my users) ?

Should I try to restart with the removed Data.fs.* files (kept
somewhere else) ?

Since I used version 2.7.3 => I had problem with restart => I have had
to remove the extra Data.fs.* files to manage a restart => But I hadn't
lose data with that !!!
Since version 2.7.3 was leaking I moved to 2.7.4, but I'm wondering if
2.7.4 has not another bug in storage?

Thank you for your answers!

	serge

here is my config:

  Zope Version

(Zope 2.7.4-0, python 2.3.4, sunos5)
Python Version

2.3.4 (#1, Nov 18 2004, 14:19:24) [GCC 3.3.2]
System Platform

sunos5
SOFTWARE_HOME

/prd/data/Zope/var/zope2.7.4/lib/python
ZOPE_HOME

/prd/data/Zope/var/zope2.7.4
INSTANCE_HOME

/prd/data/Zope/var/zope8080
CLIENT_HOME

/prd/data/Zope/var/zope8080/var
Network Services

ZServer.HTTPServer.zhttp_server (Port: 8080)
ZServer.FTPServer.FTPServer (Port: 8021)
Process Id

979 (7)
Running For

16 hours 51 min 21 sec