[Zope] Re: ZEO connections cache

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Thu Jan 6 12:16:09 EST 2005

Pascal Peregrina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Zope 2.7.3 with this configuration :
> + a ZEO instance with one ZODB
> + a Zope instance with Read/Write connections to the whole ZEO ZODB
> + several Zope instances with Read Only connections to one folder of the ZEO
> ZODB (+ a small local ZODB for the root folder, that never changes)
>
> It looks like some object changes (specially objects located in CMF
> portal_skins subfolders), are not always "seen" from one connection to
> another (either on the Zope instance where the changes were made or any
> other Zope instance).
>
> The problem is fixed when I minimize the connection caches.
>
> Anyone knows what could cause such an issue ?
>
> It appeared with Zope 2.7.3... (was ok on 2.7.2)
> But as we did other changes at the same time, I am 100% sure it's because of
> the Zope upgrade itself.

Are the modified objects ZODB-based skin methods, or the
filesystem-based analogs in a FilesystemDirectoryView?  I don't know of
anything which would explain your behavior for ZODB-based objects;  such
staleness would imply a bug in ZODB invalidation logic.
FSObject-derived items have a "proxy" stored in the ZODB, which caches
the "real" method object as a volatile attribute;  cache minimization
would cause those volatiles to be discarded and recomputed, and might
therefore contribute to the behavior you describe.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com