[Zope] Generating Short (unique) IDs

Jeff Rodriguez jeffrey.rodriguez at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 12:53:59 EST 2005

I'm currently running a Zope CMF/Plone site, here's my situation:
I have a folder that contains several of a custom content type I
created called an "EscalationDoc". What I plan on doing is creating
another folder to store another custom content type called
"EscalationID", each EscalationID will be linked to an EscalationDoc.

The reasoning for this is I need to be able to swing what
EscalationDoc an EscalationID points to. My problem is that Zope
generates very long IDs, like "escalationdoc.2005-01-07.0744968113".
These IDs will need to be remembered and entered by humans so I need a
short, sequential, unique IDs.

If I could use some sort of mutex in Zope I could probably figure this
out, but I'm not aware of any such mechanism.

Any suggestions?
--
Jeffrey Alan Rodriguez
Jeffrey.Rodriguez at gmail.com