[Zope] Copying Data.fs

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 10:01:21 EST 2005

[Tariq Rashid]
> so is the new Data.fs.index regenerated when Zope is restarted?

If you copy over the .fs file but not the .index file too, then it's
best practice to delete the stale .index file (if any) on the
destination machine.  ZODB uses some heuristic checks to try to detect
a mismatching .index file, and they're pretty strong heuristics, but
it's possible they could fail to detect a mismatch.

> ps - i've migrated Data.fs successfully and repeatedly between a
> netbsd 2.0 install a linux server withand i didn't copy the .index
> file,only the Data.fs)

It's always OK to delete an .index file.  ZODB creates an .index file
if none exists.  Leaving behind a stale .index file is a little risky.
 I expect it's much riskier to leave stale persistent ZEO cache files
in place, if the destination machine is being used as a ZEO server.