[Zope] Memory and Large Zope Page Templates

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 04:34:51 EST 2005

Santi Camps wrote:
> Yes, I understant how ZODB cache works with threads.   The behaviour I
> didn't understood is why, once transaction is finished, the ZODB Cache
> decrese in number of objects but the RAM process not.

This is the pythonic behaviour I was talking about.
If you want it fixed, bug Guido ;-)

> I'm already using brains.  I've tried your suggestion of
> subtransactions, but there is no change (I think it's normal, I'm not
> changing any persistent object).  I'm not sure how a _p_jar.sync() can
> improve something.

...you need to force the cache to garbage collect before there are too
many objects in memory. The catalog does this using subtransactions.
there's also a cache minimize call somewhere, but you're probably better
off asking on zodb-dev at zope.org about where that is...

> I think that the best solution will be run the report in a new process,
> spawning a ZEO Client to do the work and waiting for it.

...yeah, get put the ZEO client on a different machine :-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk