[Zope] Re: Where is Zope3X?

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Thu Jan 20 13:01:55 EST 2005

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 20.Jan 2005 - 13:13:58, Fabio Rizzo Matos wrote:
>
>>is interesting using Zope 3 rather Zope 2 to develop applications ??
>

> ? I don't get what you mean. Of course its interesting to develop
> Zope3 Apps, but currently you have to use ZopeX3 with its limitations,
> so for production use I'd recommend Zope2. If you mean if its better
> to start off with Zope3 instead of learning Zope2 that depends, if you
> need to come up with an app soon, you might be better off with Zope2,
> as there's no release plan yet for Zope3 (according to the website)
> and ZopeX3 is not really meant for production usage AFAIK.

Not strictly true.  Several folks, including ZC, are deploying or have
deplyed production applications atop X3.  YMMV, but the lack of backward
compatibility is not a blocker for a new application.

>>And Products like Plone? Don´t work in zope 3??
>

> First: Don't confuse Zope3 with ZopeX3, as I said already, Zope3 is
> meant to be backwards compatible to Zope2, whereas ZopeX3 is a working
> new release without any backwards compatibility (AFAIK).
>
> So for Plone it's going to be a new release I think, as it's not a
> small project and I would expect that Plone doesn't work out of the
> box on Zope3. But simple Zope2 Apps should be ok.

Plone will have to be completely redone atop Zope3.  Some CMFish /
Plonish technologies / techniques are already in Zope3;  others will
need reimplementation.  Migrating existing Plone / CMF content is likely
to be the hardest part of the conversion.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com