[Zope] Where is Zope3X?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Jan 21 16:44:08 EST 2005

On Friday 21 January 2005 16:05, Jeff Donsbach wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Stephan Richter wrote:
> > To answer the original question, if you do not want to build a plain Web
> > site
> > or CMS, then you should definitely have a look at Zope X3, since it is a
> > very
> > nice framework to develop Web applications with.
>
> In language Zope newbies can understand, how is that different from what
> Zope 2 promises or is recommended for? If I am starting a new project,
> what criteria should I use to decide if I should start with Zope 2 or just
> jump right to X3 to begin with?

Okay, so the first thing here is that Zope 2 has a much wider target audience
than Zope 3. Zope X3 (as of now) is aimed at the Python developer, who uses
Python code and Page Templates to develop applications. As you know, Zope 2
is also useful for scripters and almost the average Joe, since it provides
scripting and Point&Click interfaces.

I think the solection criteria is: If your application will provide common Web
features, Zope 2 is the recommended way, because it is almost guaranteed that
this feature has been already implemented. If, on the other hand, you write a
very specific and unique application, Zope 3 is better, since it provides a
much cleaner and simpler API to develop on and with.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter