[Zope] Re: Poll: Zope and Suse Linux

Tony Addyman A.M.Addyman at salford.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 15:29:35 EDT 2005

Tony Addyman wrote:

> Negroup - wrote:
>
>> Hi all, does anyone here uses Zone installed on Suse Linux?
>> What's your impressions? Particular pros/cons?
> It comes with a script to manage multiple Zopes, which is very useful.
> I have around 50 separate Zope/Plones running for student teaching.
>
> The only negative that I know of comes with SuSE 9.3 Pro. Zope is
> compiled with Python 2.4! All my attempts to build Zope from scratch
> with Python 2.3.5 have failed on SuSE 9.3. I never had problems with
> building things from scratch before though.

I have sorted out the build from scratch. I installed python 2.3 as an
altinstall as suggested, and tried using --with-python on the zope
configuration. Both of these may have helped. Certainly, the suggestions
encouraged me to have one more go - and I found the problem! It was so easy
when I found it, too. I have a large number of existing zope instances,
each already has their own zopectl script. These were created before I
migrated to SuSE 9.3, so the script has PYTHON=/usr/bin/python. On SuSE
9.2 /usr/bin/python was python 2.3.

So, even though I built everything with python 2.3.5 the scripts were still
trying to use python 2.4 to run things. After I edited the scripts all was
well. That is on my test server. The production server has another 50 or so
Zope instances. It all makes work for the working man to do (as the song
says)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and support.
Tony

Eur Ing A.M.Addyman, School of Computing, Science and Engineering
University of Salford, Salford, M5 4WT