[Zope] performance of textindexng2 vs. zctextindex

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Tue Jul 19 23:42:27 EDT 2005

--On 19. Juli 2005 17:15:25 -0700 Francis Kelly <zope at crubellier.com> wrote:

> I recently installed TextIndexNG2 2.1.1

which is *pretty old*. Take a look at the v 2.2.0 which has been optimized
over the time in different ways. Consider using StupidStorage as documented
in the release notes.

> I've been struck that if the number of search hits is high, TextIndexNG2
> is much slower than ZCTextIndex. For example, if I do a search on
> 'podcast' (our site deals w/ podcasting) I get about 14,000 hits.
> ZCTextIndex returns the results in about 0.1 seconds; TextIndexNG2 takes
> 31 seconds or 300 times longer. In general, the more hits there are, the
> bigger the difference between the two search indexes.

Query speed depends on different things: the query, the implementation, the
operations needed to be performed during the query. Because of some
functionality TXNG needs to store much more information than ZCTextIndex.
It did this as said above sometimes in a not so efficient way (see above).
You might also look at TextIndexNG V3.

-aj