[Zope] Re: Zope Foundation Update

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Wed Jul 20 09:03:45 EDT 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 20. Juli 2005 12:43:22 +0100 Matt Hamilton <matth at netsight.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>  > ZEA's registration represents an abuse of registration
>>  > and management of international trademarks and the
>>  > misappropriation of a mark that is clearly the property
>>  > of Zope Corporation.
>>
>> So why is Zope Foundation being used as a pawn in the corporate
>> strategies of Zope Corporation? I find this unclear intent pretty
>> disconcerting.
>

> Why did not ZEA came up with such arguments against the ZF *much earlier*?

Speaking for me, I felt asking this type of questions suspecting ZC to
found ZF for its own sake would not have helped.

Having a Foundation is a major step if we can manage to have it built
community-oriented.

If you remember well, I did ask some questions about the tone of the IRC
chat which I did not feel as an opened discussion : rather I felt it as
a suite of questions/answers about things that were presented like facts.

I had the feeling that my reaction was already misunderstood my some of
the attendants. So I did not even think of speaking of the trademark
question... which had striked me as one of the critical points : IIRC,
the TM was the first thing mentioned in ZC longer explanation.

> The ZF proposal is out since some weeks. There was meanwhile an IRC chat
> with Rob,  a lengthy discussion on the mailing list and Rob spoke at
> Europython. I can not remember having heard any objections from ZEA
> against this proposal. I have not heard any public statements of Paul
> Everitt at Europython during the ZF presentation *against* the ZF.

There is nothing against the ZF : there is sthing against ZC being the
sole owner of the TMs when the current value of it has been established
by the community as a whole, especially out of USA.

This is why I support the proposal made by a few members of the
community to have the ZF own the TMs and that would give a perpetual
license to Zope Corporation to use it.

For instance,

"""...it would be far better for everyone if Zope Corporation were
instead to transfer the trademark to the foundation and receive a
perpetual/irrevocable/etc. license back."""

posted by webmaven on plope.org

see

http://plope.org/Members/chrism/namechange/talkback/1120068594/discussionitem_view

> Speaking as independent developer - neither representing the interests
> of ZC nor of ZEA - I find these behind-the-curtain negotiations
> extremely counterproductive from the community point of view and
> definitely not in the sense of the Zope community.
>
> -aj

It's definitely better to speak about it in the open air, where we all
will be able to think about it together.

Disclaimer : I'd like to remind english-only-speaking readers that my
mothertongue is french not english. IOW, some of my words may need to be
explained rather than taken literally.
--
Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha)- BubbleNet  http://bubblenet.be