OpenBSD Python whitespace oddness (was Re: [Zope] Memory Errors)

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 12:41:54 EDT 2005

Tim Peters wrote:

> (" " in HTML).  It's surprising to me to see \x89-\x8d there,
> though.  It could be your system is set to use "an unusual" locale, or
> it could be a bug in the platform C libraries.  Try writing a little C
> program to see what isspace() returns.

Bingo! Thanks for the hints.

You were correct, it was down to a mis-interpretation of the C99 and ISO
8859 standards.  Looks like OpenBSD interprets it differently to
everything else ;)

The policy was changed 8 days ago:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/lib/libc/gen/ctype_.c

"Correct ctype classifications of chars >= 0x80 wrt C99/POSIX and our
man page. ok espie@ deraadt@"

-Matt

Matt Hamilton                                       matth at netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.        Business Vision on the Internet