[Zope] Re: Zope Foundation Update

Christian Scholz cs at comlounge.net
Thu Jul 28 16:28:52 EDT 2005

Hi!

> Thanks for this long and balanced post.
>
> Far less heated than I (or other hot people of the community) can produce.
>
> I hope ZC will take time to answer your legitimate questions...

I'd also prefer some answers by some independant people regarding legal
topics (as long as it can be told based on the facts).

> I suppose you'll await some progress on the negotiation before joining
> us in ZEA...

Well, it was explained to me what ZEA is at EP and I was just listening
for now ;-) The same is true for the ZF.

> BTW, do you have the feeling ZEA was trying to steal anything, have you
> heard of others that would think we tried to ?

Well, I cannot look into the heads of people but in general I trust
people so when ZEA says they just wanted to protect it, I believe it as
I believe that ZC has no evil plans with the TM. I think trying to steal
it wouldn't be a good idea anyway and I think that the people at ZEA
know this as the publicity of this would be against them (as we see
now). Moreover I know some people at ZEA and they seem to be nice guys
anyway and not "business sharks".
Actually it feels a bit like a competition issue between ZC and ZEA and
it would be nice if this would be sorted out between them (internally
please) as the market is big enough (especially if one party is in the
US and the other one in Europe).

So about this whole topic actually there are two points:

1. How the issue was handled. IMHO not good on both sides.

2. What the plans with the TM are and what they mean to the Zope community.

> At least I agree ZEA should have communicated with ZC far earlier.

Good :-)

-- christian