[Zope] Problem with ZPsyopg

David davidr at talamh.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 07:12:08 EDT 2005

Zope 2.7 / ZPsyopgDA / PostgreSQL7.3.4

My problem is that we're running a lot of little websites on a single
server. Each site has its own zope/zpsyopg instance and its own
postgresql database. But all databases are served by a single
postmaster (postgresql instance).

The issue arising is that I'm reaching max_connections (and as this
ties into memory, there are limits to how high I can set this without
affecting the performance of the machine), while most connections sit
around being idle most of the time.

I had a look at pgpool, but if I understand it correctly, it won't help
(or will any other pooling solution), as it requires as many
connections to the backend, as it's serving to clients. (Or did I get
this wrong?) I do understand how I can reduce the number of threads
within Zope to reduce the number of connections, but that only goes so
far.

Is there a way how I can configure my system, so that idle connections
expire when not used for a certain time? Or is there another solution
to the problem?

Thanks

DR