[Zope] ACTUAL_URL vs. VIRTUAL_URL

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Jun 13 14:57:18 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 07:15:45PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote at 2005-6-13 10:27 -0400:
> >Having said that, I'm not clear on the difference between
> >ACTUAL_URL and URL :-)
>
> "URL" is in fact computed.
>
> Thus, it can be both shorter (e.g. in case of a PythonScript
> with active "traverse_subpath"), longer (e.g. in case
> of ":{method|action}" request variables) or almost
> unrelated (e.g. in case of active '__before_traverse__' hooks
> (such as VHM)).

Ahh, right, thanks, I had forgotten traversal hooks that were
mentioned in the original discussion about this.

So, all told, ACTUAL_URL is quite valuable: AFAICT it is the only value
that is guaranteed to represent the "actual" URL seen by the user,
and it is always available.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com