[Zope] ZPT tutorial

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Jun 21 15:15:33 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 07:29:20PM +0100, John Poltorak wrote:
re. zopelabs.com:

> It probably is very useful, but I know I'd get hopelessly lost because
> there is just so much stuff on it.

So you prefer to ignore it?

Granted, zopelabs.com has flaws. It's harder to find stuff than it
should be.  Nevertheless, browsing that site, along with reading the
Zope book (the old print version), was instrumental in getting me from
knowing nothing, to the point where I became a full-time zope developer.
We didn't even have the great resource of zopewiki.org back then.
Use that too, zopewiki is your friend.
There are tons of good links from http://zopewiki.org/PageTemplates

In general, I don't know how you expect to make any progress when your
typical response to the (many) suggestions you receive on this list is
"I can't read that, it's too much work".

> Most of the newbie stuff about macros
> is probably quite old by now so I doubt whether I'd find it with a
> sequential browse through the Cookbook.

"probably"? "doubt"?

> It's disappointing to find that the link from Newbies under the ZOPE
> section does not function.

True that. I don't know what happened to zopenewbies.net.

> What I really need is something like a ZPT macro which defines a header
> and footer and leaves a slot in the middle for my own content. I don't
> expect to be able to write my own macro for quite a while - too many
> pitfalls... I'm not even sure is that is how I should be approaching
> writing a home page.

Have you tried the tutorial that comes with Zope?
It includes at least one simple example of macros - see lesson 4.

Not sure how to run the tutorial?  The default index_html for a new Zope
server tells you:

"""There is a built-in interactive Zope Tutorial which gets you started
with some simple tasks using the Zope managment interface. To use the
tutorial, go to any Folder and select Zope Tutorial from the add list
and click the Add button. Provide a name for the tutorial and click Add
to begin working with the tutorial.
"""

--

Paul Winkler