[Zope] ZPT tutorial

Mark Barratt markb at textmatters.com
Wed Jun 22 04:04:38 EDT 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:
> --On 21. Juni 2005 23:04:12 +0100 Mark Barratt <markb at textmatters.com>
> wrote:
>
>> or there's PHP, where the communities are probably more newbie-friendly
>> and there are loads of tutorials.
>>
> Don't compare PHP with Zope. PHP is a tiny language compared to the fat
> Zope frameworks. Working with Zope on the scripter level (ZPT, DTMl,
> ZSQL) requires similar skills as a PHP programmer. If you want to go
> beyond you have approach open-minded and come a with some solid
> knowledge in programming and understanding architectural issues in Zope.
> But when I read some questions here then I have the impression that
> people except that Zope solves their problems although neither they
> don't understand the problems themselves nor have the basic skills to
> reach the goal.
> That's not a but being newbie-friendly but one can expect as certain
> level of knowledge when you're working with Zope...e.g. the knowledge
> how HTML works (that's something kids learn at school nowadays).

I agree with all this, though I suspect you underestimate how little
many newcomers know, and not just about HTML, where they may have been
inflicted with Front Page or learned in Dreamweaver, where you don't
have to either write code or do things 'properly'. But also about the
big leap required to get from <title>Something</title> to <title
tal:content="template/title|context/title">Untitled Document</title>.

I think we (the Zope community) should try to be clearer in telling
newcomers what the 'entry requirements' are.

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters

Information design: we help explain things using
language | design | systems | process improvement
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313  email markb at textmatters.com
web http://www.textmatters.com