[Zope] Using Zope to Manage an Asset Inventory Database

Spann, John W. john.spann at ngc.com
Thu Jun 23 07:21:56 EDT 2005

I run a local area network of about 200 Microsoft Windows based workstations and about 15 servers. The inventory consists of various pieces of information (make, model, serial number ...) relating to CPU, monitor, keyboard etc. At the present time, the computer inventory is maintained using an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to move/convert this inventory information into Zope, but I am having some difficulty in making the transition.

My thinking is to have a hierarchy of objects. A CPU object, monitor object, keyboard object, tape drive, disk drives, etc. Some CPUs and monitors are spares and sit in a storage room. I would like to be able to use Zope and the ability to cut and paste objects to manage this information. If a monitor on a working CPU fails, I would like to be able to launch Zope, find the monitor, remove it from the existing system, pick one from the storage area and logically attach it to the working CPU. In addition, I would like to be able to generate reports/lists for auditing purposes.

root
 |--> storage area
 |       -> monitor
 |       -> monitor
 |       -> cpu
 |       -> keyboard
 |--> room 1
 |       -> system 1
 |            -> cpu
 |            -> monitor
 |            -> keyboard
 |       ->system 2
 |            -> cpu
 |            -> monitor
 |            ->keyboard
 |--> room 2
 |       -> system 3
 |            -> cpu
 |            -> monitor
 |            -> keyboard
 |--> room 3
 |       -> system 4
 |            -> cpu
 |            -> monitor
 |            -> keyboard

I have been looking for examples of how this is done within Zope, but I have not found any working examples. Any thoughts on how to implement a system like this would be much appreciated.

--

John W. Spann
410.765.4427 (Work)
Text Message: 4102320730 at archwireless.net